Skip to content

Drought response

As drought conditions continue to persist across the state, we are continuing to help landholders manage their farming businesses during these challenging times.

We are still holding workshops, information sessions, ‘smokos’ and ‘cuppas’ to connect you advice and networks on animal nutrition, pasture management and livestock health. To find a local event, click on your region and visit the events page under the resource hub.

These events have also meant we can connect landholders with information and support from other specialists. Here is how our one of our vets helped a landholder during dry times.

Current support and networks available

Visit NSW DPI’s DroughtHub to see the range of services and support available from the NSW and Australian Governments. Here you will find:

In June 2019, the NSW Government announced a further $185 million to continue the NSW Emergency Drought Relief Package, to help farmers manage the effects of the drought. Click here to see the extended NSW Emergency Drought Relief Package for 2019-20.

If you require assistance with drought transport subsidies, other financial assistance or are in need of, or know someone who may be in need of rural financial counselling services, please contact the Rural Assistance Authority (RAA) on 1800 678 593.

Available resources


Local Land Services has been holding workshops and 'smokos' across the state to help farmers through these dry times. If you haven't been able to make it to a session, no worries, we have recorded a number of the sessions and videos to assist you with managing your business. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay up to date with the latest advice and information.

Need help with your RAA drought forms?

Farmers having trouble accessing online RAA forms for the drought transport subsidies can get access to the online forms at the Local Land Services Offices listed below. Local Land Services staff can help farmers access the form and submit it online. Staff will not be able to fill in the form for you or provide the information required to fill out the form.

Farmers will need to bring with them:

  • their ABN or ACN,
  • address and contact details (including email),
  • type and number of stock being transported and cost of freight,
  • bank account details,
  • recent rates notice (council and LLS),
  • owner carrier details (registration papers) or carrier tax invoice