Skip to content

Annual land and stock returns - FAQs

But I don’t have any stock...

We understand that many landholders are facing challenging conditions and may have sold or agisted their stock elsewhere.

Our staff are working closely with impacted farmers to help you make informed management decisions and connect with people who can help you cope through the drought.

We acknowledge that filling in an annual land and stock return may be confronting in these conditions.

It is important that you complete an annual land and stock return, even if you don’t have any stock.

Your return is still important to help us understand our state’s stock movement. This information is essential if we face an emergency such as disease outbreak.

Where can I get support during drought?

If you are having a hard time during the drought, there is support available to help you.

Our staff can help you make informed decisions about your stock and pastures. There are other rural support agencies with local staff who can also help you manage such as rural Financial Counsellors or the Rural Resilience team. There are also a range of subsidies available.

It is crucial you don’t self-assess.

Look up your Local Land Services contacts, drought events and management information.

See what programs and information is available on the DroughtHub website.

What is my Return information used for?

It helps us respond to emergencies

Your annual land and stock return information helps us build a statewide picture about agricultural land use and livestock numbers.

Your Return information and the stock identification and traceability systems we manage are invaluable in the event of an emergency or disease outbreak.

We can respond more quickly and help you get back to business faster.

It helps keep our markets open

Australian produce is free of many of the pests and diseases found in other parts of the world. We all want to maintain this enviable reputation.

That’s why we work with you to monitor herds and flocks and connect you with up-to-date advice and information.

Effective animal biosecurity and welfare protects and maintains market access for livestock producers, now and in the future.

How can I send in my information

The easiest way to lodge your return is online.

Our online form asks the same questions as the paper form and only takes a few minutes to complete:

Look up your holding reference number and unique online password from the top right hand corner of your Return form and complete the form online.

You can also complete online and post your completed return to:

Local Land Services
Locked Bag 6013
Orange NSW 2800

It is a legal requirement under the Local Land Services Act 2013 and Local Land Services Regulation 2014 that you lodge an annual land and stock return.

Penalties can apply if you don’t submit your Return by 31 August 2018.

What should I do if the information in Section A of the Return is incorrect?

If any of the information in Section A is incorrect, please contact your nearest Local Land Services office or download the Change of Details form from our website and return it to your local office.

Don’t mark changes on your annual land and stock return form. They are scanned electronically, so any changes marked on the form won’t be updated.

Which stock should I count?

All stock over six months old on the listed holding as at 30 June should be included, regardless of whether they are yours, agisted or another arrangement.

Pigs of any age should be counted, as well as flocks of 100 or more poultry.

What if I am leasing the property?

As you have received this paperwork, our records show you as the legal occupier so you must lodge a Return.

What if I am not the occupier?

If you were not the occupier of all or part of the holding on 30 June 2018, contact your nearest Local Land Services office or download the Change of Details form on our website.

Your local office can confirm if you need to lodge a Return.

What if the property is changing hands?

If you are in the process of selling or leasing your land (including exchanging contracts), and you are still the legal occupier on 30 June, you are responsible for the annual land and stock return.

Do I complete a separate form for each holding?

Yes, a separate annual land and stock return form must be completed for each holding, including primary and secondary holdings.

You should receive a separate annual land and stock return form in the mail for each of these.

How will my information be used?

We use annual land and stock return information for a number of operational and administrative purposes. Ultimately these help us support the community and protect our primary industries.

For example, during an emergency or disease outbreak in your area, data from the return allows us to identify priority/ at risk land or stock.

If you do not lodge your Return, we may not know if you need to be informed about animal and plant health issues.

Are these numbers used in calculating my rates?

Rates charges are primarily based on your land’s notional carrying capacity and size.

Stock numbers provided on your completed annual land and stock return are used to support our work in responding to emergencies, and in determining the animal health rate and meat industry levy components of your rates notice.

What else do I need to do if I own livestock?

If you are registering livestock on this Return, you should also have a Property Identification Code (PIC).

We assign a unique eight-digit PIC to properties with livestock. PICs play an important role in livestock traceability, reducing the threat of spreading livestock disease.

Talk to our staff at your nearest Local Land Services office about whether you need a PIC.